Saturday, June 21, 2008

Spiritual food for thought


Col. 2:4.5 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the steadfastness of you faith in Christ.
The story is told that in the days of the Roman Empire, a certain wealthy senator become estranged from his son. When he died unexpectedly, his will was opened, “because my son does not appreciate what I’ve done I leave all of my worldly possessions to my loyal slave, Marcellus,” the will read “However, because I am a man of grace, I bequeath to my son one of my possessions of his choosing. “Sorry,” said the testator to the son. “You can only take one of your dad’s possessions. Which will it be?” “I take Marcellus,” said the son. Brilliant! That’s the idea. When you take Jesus Christ, you get all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. When you open your heart to Him, you find everything you need. It’s all in Him. Why is this understanding so important? Because it is the only way to keep from being sucked into “enticing words”, cults & other dead end pursuits of pseudo-spirituality. That’s what was happening in Colosse. People were coming on the scene, saying, “What Paul is preaching is fine, but there’s much more.” “No,” Paul says. “Be steadfast in your faith in Christ. All of the treasure of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Him.” Jon Courson’s application commentary
Jon Courson is also the author of
A Future and a Hope, A Day's Journey, and A Place For You and A Pillar By Day. www.joncourson.com

No comments: